Anatomical Neuropathic Intramuscular Stimulation 1 (AN-IMS 1)
AN-IMS 1 is an intensive 3 day course created for health care practitioners who have not taken any IMS/Dry needling courses previously or are new to this application of dry needling. This includes those who have previous acupuncture training. AN-IMS 1 trains participants to utilize the neuropathic clinical reasoning framework in the safe and effective application of dry needling as a treatment modality, and will allow the practioner to treat clients immediately. Throughout the course participants will learn to treat the whole body comprehensively.
If you have previously taken an IMS course, check out AN-IMS 2.
Course Fee: Full – $1875 Early Register – $1725
If you have received a Course Code it will be applied at Checkout.
The course fee includes:
- Pre-study material
- Course Manual
- All supplies used in the duration of the course
- Tea, coffee, snacks throughout the duration of the course*
*AN-IMS 1 is an intensive 3-day course with minimal breaks in order to maximize laboratory time. Coffee, tea and snacks will be provided. Bring any additional food or beverages you require to sustain your participation in the course. Due to group size, individual dietary restrictions cannot be accommodated so please plan accordingly if this applies to you.
- Current licensed practicing physical therapist or medical doctor. Proof of license, registration and insurance will be required on the first day of the course.
- Minimum of 6 months of licensed clinical practice as a registered physical therapist or medical doctor
- Completion of pre-study materials and assignments to be handed in at the start of the course
- Full participation throughout the duration of the course is required by course participants in both the laboratory and practical sessions. It is important that all participants experience the treatment modality in the educational setting.
- Pregnancy is a contraindication to AN-IMS. Therefore, pregnant women may not participate in this course due to the risks associated with dry needling and pregnancy.
AN-IMS 1 is an intensive 3 day course created for practitioners who have not taken any IMS/Dry needling courses previously or are new to this application of dry needling. This includes those who have previous acupuncture training. AN-IMS 1 trains participants in the neuropathic clinical reasoning frame work for the safe and effective application of dry needling as a treatment modality. In this course participants will investigate the anatomical and physiologic mechanisms of neuropathic theory as they apply to the clinical application of dry needling. AN-IMS 1 is taught by instructors with extensive experience in IMS/dry-needling as well as anatomy, physiology and manual therapy. All of our instructors also have experience or are currently teaching at Canadian post-secondary Physiotherapy programs.
20 hours Home Study module
30 hours on site
50 total hours
During this course you will learn
- Theoretical framework of the physiologic mechanisms underlying the application of dry needling. These will include but are not limited to the neurophysiology of neuropathic pain.
- Clinical reasoning framework for the application of dry needling as a treatment modality
- Extensive investigation of relevant anatomical structures and regional precautions for all areas to be needled
- Extensive, supervised hands on training and application of dry needling to the spine and extremities
- Clean needle technique, precautions, contraindications, and emergency management protocols
- Supporting literature for the application of dry needling in treating neuropathic myofascial pain and dysfunction
Following this course you will:
- Understand the theoretical framework surrounding the application of dry needling
- Through clinical reasoning understand appropriate patient selection for the application of dry needling
- Understand all of the anticipated outcomes, contraindications/precautions
- Be able to evaluate efficacy of your treatment
- Understand how to integrate exercise into your treatment regimen
- Immediately begin safely treating the spine and extremities of your clients in clinic with AN-IMS following successful completion of the course.
Anatomical Neuropathic IMS 1 includes a combination of pre-study assignments, lecture and laboratory based learning throughout the duration of the course. The course also includes two written exams, one on anatomy and one on theory as well as practical evaluation including but not limited to safe needle technique, precautions/contraindications, technical application of dry needling, and clinical reasoning. All class participants will be required to participate in all laboratory sessions as both a practitioner and patient. At FHE we believe it is vital to experience the treatment modality as a patient to better understand its application to your clients in clinic.
For accreditation a participant is required to:
- Hand in completed Pre-Study module(s) prior to the start of the course. This is sent to registrants 1 month prior to the course start date.
- Pass both of the on course Anatomy and Theory exams with a minimum score of 75%.
Anatomy Exam – Day 1, based on pre-study module(s).
Theory Exam – Day 3, based on pre-study module(s) and on-course material.
- Pass ongoing Practical Evaluation by all instructors throughout the duration of the course.
- Following completion of this you will be issued a certificate of completion from FHE
- Submit a self declaration to the appropriate college to be placed on the dry needling roster
(Please consult your provincial and/or state needling guidelines for accreditation in your area.)
- Upon successful registration you have secured a spot in Foundations of AN-IMS1
- Cancellation up to 30 days prior to the published course start date will receive a full refund minus a $300 CAD administration fee.
- Foundations Health Education (FHE) will not be able to provide a refund of course fees if cancellation occurs within 30 days of the course start date
- Withdrawal from the course once it has started is not subject to any refund of course fees
- Continuation of the course depends on a minimum number of participants and FHE reserves the right to reschedule a course in the case of insufficient registration
- In the event of insufficient registration FHE will hold or transfer your registration to another course or provide a full refund of course fees at that time
- FHE reserves the right to cancel a course due to unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances. If this occurs a full refund of your course fees will be provided. FHE is not responsible for any charges expenses incurred by the course participant outside of the course registration fee.